AMI (Advanced Metering Infrastructure)
Mission - Providing opportunities for better work solutions.
In June 2015, Henry County Water Authority (HCWA) began upgrading our water meters to smart meters throughout the county using an advanced technology called AMI, which stands for Advanced Metering Infrastructure. Smart meters receive a signal from a tower. These smart meters use a time-tested technology that give HCWA the ability to better manage our extensive water distribution system, spot large leaks more quickly and identify opportunities for water savings.
This technology forms the backbone of HCWA for the future, which means more customer-focused and efficient service for everyone. Upgrading our water meter system is a part of our efforts to continually improve our water system and replace water meters that are approaching the end of their useful life. We will continue the installation process across the county over the next five years. As a result, the county will have greater sustainability and longevity with our water system.
AMI will increase customer convenience, the ability to track and manage water usage in real time, enhanced leak detection, and enhanced customer service. We want our customers to take full advantage of the many benefits that AMI technology has to offer. In the near future, a secure, web-based portal will be available for our customers that will allow access to increased information on water use. HCWA looks forward to keeping our customers informed and satisfied throughout this multi-year project.
- HCWA has approximately 70,000 eligible meters to be changed out in Henry County, GA.
- Currently 53% of eligible Henry County meters have been changed out to smart meters.
- The goal of the annual contract team is to install up to (approx.) 6000 meters annually.
- Approx. 10 base stations will be needed to complete the project.
- Currently have 6 base stations up and working now in the system.
- Track consumption – hourly readings available.
- Manage costs.
- Leak notifications.
- Reduce water service interruptions and downtime.
- Enhance customer experience.
- Smarter decisions (service and usage).
- Higher reliability due to timely readings.
- Closer meter reading and billing dates.
- Problem solving capabilities.
- Improve customer engagement and service.
- Create a future of cleaner energy.
The Meter Change Out Process
The installation process takes typically less than fifteen minutes where water service will be interrupted. Our crews and our contractor partners will install these meter upgrades. They will knock on the door prior to any change out, identify themselves and explain the process. If no one is home, they will leave a door hanger when the job is complete. HCWA typically notifies customers 30 days in advance via letters or phone calls prior to the change out. There is no charge or deposit required for the meter upgrades.
New Customer Portal!
Henry County Water Authority is proud to announce our new water use Customer Portal. If you have a new smart meter installed, you are now able to sign up free for the customer portal and monitor your water consumption. All you need to register is your account number and your name as it appears on your water bill.
Click on the link below to sign up.
Register at https://my-henry.sensus-analytics.com/ You may also call 770-957-6659 for assistance.
Don’t have a smart meter. When will you receive one?
Meters are being changed out by routes throughout the county. Each route is chosen based on the proximity to the towers to ensure successful over air readings. Customers in an upcoming change out route will be sent a letter or a phone call approximately 30 days prior to the change out.
Field Service Technicians
HCWA has a staff of experienced and dedicated Field Service Technicians that perform a variety of repair and maintenance on our smart meters ensuring the equipment functions according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Our Field Service staff brave the daily elements to make sure our smart meters are well maintained ensuring our AMI system is operating efficiently with proper smart meter to tower communications. Field Service staff are always in HCWA uniforms and operate HCWA vehicles with our logo. Below are some of the daily duties that our Field Technicians perform to help our AMI system effectively operate.
- Provide service and customer support during field visits or dispatches.
- Perform all on site activities relating to smart meter installation, repair, maintenance and testing.
- Diagnose errors or technical problems and determining proper solutions.
- Gather monthly smart meter readings for our Billing department.
- When applicable verify and notify customers of constant water consumption.
If you have questions about the AMI system or meter change out process, please call 770.914.3688 between the hours of 8:00AM - 4:30PM to speak with the AMI Department or email AMI@hcwa.com.
Keep checking our site for the following updates
- Smart Meter Video